Kieren McCarthy is a journalist on staff at The Register, and was one of the few writers to voice concerns over Atari’s latest console attempt. Kieren’s skepticism escalated considerably when he met with the Atari team in person at GDC, and detailed his misgivings in the now-famous article ‘We sent a vulture to find the relaunced Atari Box – and all he got was this lousy baseball cap’. Atari responded by claiming Kieren made up the story, despite there being a recording of the meeting.
In this episode of Hungry Trilobyte, Kieren and I discuss why critical thinking seems to be lacking when it comes to video-game-centric discussion, and areas where Atari could have actually released a better product, had they had a mind to.
You can follow Kieren’s journalism on Twitter, or his personal account, if you’d like. He also maintains a website, kierenmccarthy.com. In addition to those, his main social media, Kieren maintains a Facebook account as well.
Kieren’s Atari VCS articles:
- Insert coin: Atari retro console is coming back But will what looks like a mad scramble result in anything?
- The Atari retro games box is real… sort of Here are some pictures. And, er, that’s all we’ve got for you
- The Ataribox lives, as a prototype, supposedly Promised unveiling later this month could give form to vaporware console
- We sent a vulture to find the relaunched Atari box – and all he got was this lousy baseball cap GDC Things get surreal in suite 7088
- Exclusive to all press: Atari launches world’s best ever games console Roll-up! Roll-up! You’ve never seen anything like this! Pay up front while you still can!
- Atari accuses El Reg of professional trolling and making stuff up. Welp, here’s the interview tape for you to decide… We’re so very sorry that we found the MP3. Sad
- Atari finally launches its VCS console. Again. You can now pre-order this underpowered, over-priced, untested, over-complicated toy. What are you waiting for?
- Time to check in again on the Atari retro console… dear God, it’s actually got worse Pro tip: When you’re removed as a Reddit moderator, you may want to review your life choices
- Game over: Atari VCS architect quits project, claims he hasn’t been paid for six months Special report Retro console a mess, may never launch, sources allege
- Atari would love to ship its VCS console but – would ya believe it – there’s yet another delay. This time, it’s the coronavirus’s fault If you’ve splashed out, you may get one before the heat death of the universe
- Still waiting for your Atari retro gaming console? You’re not alone: Its architect has just sued the biz for ‘non-payment’ Xbox co-creator Rob Wyatt would like his $260,000 invoice paid, please
- Not just its VCS console that’s MIA, Atari is a no-show in court, too: Reborn biz ignores hardware architect’s lawsuit over unpaid wages 12,000 people waiting for hardware, 500 might get it this month. Might
- Atari threatens to hit fourth VCS shipping deadline, provides pictures of boxes as proof of product delivery Meanwhile the console’s chief architect is still chasing payment
Catch this episode on: YouTube – Apple – Spotify – Soundcloud – Stitcher – Audible – RSS Feed
Podcast logo by MarcieLondon.com – @MarcieStarfleet on Twitter and Instagram